Ph. D. – Periodontology
Annual Intake - 5
The program is designed to build advanced knowledge and skill sets in scholars who aspire to
become clinician-scientists to advance our understanding of periodontal diseases and their
management. The program is run under the guidance of Dr. Girish Suragimath, Professor and
Head, Department of Periodontology. He completed his BDS in 1994 and MDS (Periodontology)
in 1999 from KLE Vishwanath Katti Institute of Dental Sciences, Belgaum, Karnataka. He has
been an active teacher since 1999 and teaches both undergraduate and post graduate students in
Periodontology. He is a PhD guide at KIMSDU and has students pursuing PhD under him. He
has more than 70 research publications, two books, several book chapters and a patent to his
credit. He has a particular interest in research and has been conducting many research projects at
the institution and has guided a lot of students in conducting research projects and develops
research aptitude to improve the overall understanding of the subject.
Salivary biomarkers for detection of periodontal disease; Periodontal Medicine; Dental
Implantology; Laser applications in periodontal practice; Forensic Odontology; Gene and gene
therapy; Effect of systemic diseases on periodontal diseases; Herbal medicines in treatment of
periodontal diseases; Gingival crevicular fluid for detection of periodontal diseases
- Candidates for admission to the Ph.D. programme shall have a Master’s degree or a professional degree declared equivalent to the Master’s degree by the corresponding statutory regulatory body, with at least 55% marks in aggregate.
- Provided that the relaxation of 5% of marks from 55% to 50% or an equivalent relaxation of grade shall be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/VJ-NT (Non- creamy layer)/OBC (Non- creamy layer)/differently – Abled and other category of candidates as per the decision of the UGC.
- All the candidates for Ph.D. programme shall be selected on the basis of an All Indian Ph.D. CET (AIPHDCET) and an Interview process administrated by the University.
- An Interview/Viva=voce shall be organized for those who have qualified in the All India Ph. D. CET.
- In the interview the candidates are required to discuss their research interest/area through a presentation before a duly constituted Committee.
- The interview/viva voce shall also consider the following aspects
- The competence for the propose research.
- The research work can be suitably undertaken at the institute.
- The proposed area of research can contribute to new/additional knowledge.
- The candidate register to Ph.D. Programme on the basis of the academic records, the performance of the candidate in the All India Ph. D. CET, and interview.
Duration - 3 Years
Annual Fee - 40000/-